Swimming without a training plan is a bit like trying to drive in a foreign country without a map: you’ll always get somewhere, but the place you arrive may not be where you actually want to be. Without a proper swim plan, your workouts might not lead you towards your goal.
Open Water Training Plan Fast Facts:
- Duration: 12 Weeks
- Workouts: 30
- Average Workout: 2,200 meters = 60 minutes
- Goal: Race in a 1,500 meter open water race
Who’s it for? You’re training for an Olympic distance triathlon or open water race. This Plan is designed for beginner to advanced swimmers looking to improve their 1,500m open water swim.
How does it work? Complete 2-3 Workouts per week for 12 weeks. At the end of 12 weeks you’ll be rested to race 1,500 meters open water. Every other week one Workout will be a threshold test set, and on alternating weeks you’ll do a long continuous pool swim. Supplemental open water swims are recommended 1x/week in the final 6 weeks leading up to the triathlon. This 12-week Plan will also work well for a sprint triathlon.
A training plan is a critical component to reaching your swimming goals! Here’s how this Plan is designed to help you get there.
- Time: During the week, you may feel tight on time. This Plan sets all your Workouts ahead of time for you to help you maximize your time in the water or at the gym. You’ll know exactly what you’re doing for the week and how long each Workout is.
- Setting Goals: Whatever your goal, a structured training plan helps get you there! Having a calendar of pre-planned Workouts makes your goal much more attainable.
- Staying Focused: When you have a plan ahead of time, you’ll stay on track.
- Staying Motivated: Seeing the entire plan laid out in front of you will help you visualize success and keep you on track. You may find that you’re even more motivated to get your workouts in!
- Accountability: If you can’t swim with a team or coach, this plan is for you! We are your accountability partners in this journey, and will make sure you log each and every Workout.
Start your free trial of our ELITE subscription to get started!
Featured Training Plans
- Beginner Freestyle Fundamentals (4 weeks)
- Get Fit – Freestyle (6 weeks)
- Enhance Speed (8 weeks)
- Improve Endurance (8 weeks)
- Get Fit – IM (8 weeks)
- IMX Pro Challenge (10 weeks)
- 10k Challenge (10 weeks)
- 5k Open Water (12 weeks)
- Open Water Plan (12 weeks)
How to Follow the Plan
So what are you waiting for? Start the Open Water Training Plan and achieve your goals with MySwimPro! Still not convinced? Read: Why You Need A Structured Training Plan.
Start your free trial of ELITE to unlock all of our swimming and dryland content!
Learn how to swim faster with MySwimPro: Free webinar!