This 5k Open Water Training Plan is one of the most advanced programs in the application and is specifically designed to help you improve your 5k racing time or full Ironman swim. The workouts in this plan are for experienced swimmers who are focused on distance training or competing in a long-distance race.
Start your free 30-day trial of ELITE COACH today!
5k Open Water Training Plan Overview
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Workouts: 48
- Average Workout: 4,000 meters = 70 minutes
- Goal: Race a 5k (or comparable) Open Water Race
Who’s it for? You’re an experienced swimmer that trains three or more times per week. This plan will prepare you for a 5k open water swim or 3.86k Ironman swim.
How does it work? Complete 4 workouts per week for 12 weeks in the pool. It is recommended to add additional open water swims to this plan beyond pool training, or if you’re training for triathlon you can replace some of the ‘Distance Challenge’ workouts with open water swims.
Every two weeks, the final workout of the week is a ‘Distance Challenge’ that will test your continuous aerobic ability. Week 4 and 8 are recovery weeks with lower volume and intensity. The final 3-4 weeks serve as a taper for the competition to be done at the end of the 12 week plan.
Featured Training Plans
- Beginner Freestyle Fundamentals (4 weeks)
- Get Fit – Freestyle (6 weeks)
- Enhance Speed (8 weeks)
- Improve Endurance (8 weeks)
- Get Fit – IM (8 weeks)
- IMX Pro Challenge (10 weeks)
- 10k Challenge (10 weeks)
- 5k Open Water (12 weeks)
- Open Water Plan (12 weeks)
How to Follow the Plan
A training plan is a critical component to the success of reaching your goals in swimming! Here are some additional ways this plan is designed to help you get there.
- Time: During the week, you may feel stretched on time. This plan sets all your workouts ahead of time for you; therefore, you are more able to fit them into your hectic schedule than you thought. You’ll know exactly what you’re doing for the week and how long each workout is.
- Setting Goals: Having a goal gives you something to work towards and a plan helps get you there! Having a chart makes your goal much easier and attainable.
- Staying Focused: By having a plan ahead of time, you know exactly what you’re going to do and when you’re going to do it. One of the worst things that can happen, is to only swim when the mood hits you (or not at all). A plan will keep you focused on where you’re going.
- Staying Motivated: By adhering to a weekly schedule, you may find that you are staying motivated between and during every session more so than if you didn’t have a plan. Seeing the entire plan laid out in front of you will help visualize success and keep you on track.
- Accountability: If you can’t swim with a team or coach, this plan is for you! We are your accountability partners in this journey. A structured plan will keep your schedule in check and accountable to each and every workout.
So what are you waiting for?
Start the 5k Open Water training plan and elevate your swim training with MySwimPro! Still not convinced? Read: Why You Need A Structured Training Plan.
Start your free trial of our ELITE COACH subscription today for full access to all of our swimming and dryland training content.
Learn how to swim faster with MySwimPro: Free webinar!