This 5k Open Water Training Plan is one of the most advanced programs in the MySwimPro app, and is specifically designed to help you improve your 5k racing time or full Ironman swim. The Workouts in this Plan are for experienced swimmers who are focused on distance training or competing in a long-distance race.
Start your free 30-day trial of ELITE COACH today!
5k Open Water Training Plan Overview
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Workouts: 48
- Average Workout: 4,000 meters = 70 minutes
- Goal: Race a 5k (or comparable) Open Water Race
Who’s it for? You’re an experienced swimmer that trains three or more times per week. This plan will prepare you for a 5k open water swim or 3.86k Ironman swim.
How does it work? Complete 4 Workouts per week for 12 weeks in the pool. It is recommended to add additional open water swims to this plan beyond pool training, or if you’re training for triathlon you can replace some of the ‘Distance Challenge’ Workouts with open water swims.
Every two weeks, the final Workout of the week is a ‘Distance Challenge’ that will test your continuous aerobic ability. Week 4 and 8 are recovery weeks with lower volume and intensity. The final 3-4 weeks serve as a taper for the competition to be done at the end of the 12 week plan.
Featured Training Plans
- Beginner Freestyle Fundamentals (4 weeks)
- Get Fit – Freestyle (6 weeks)
- Enhance Speed (8 weeks)
- Improve Endurance (8 weeks)
- Get Fit – IM (8 weeks)
- IMX Pro Challenge (10 weeks)
- 10k Challenge (10 weeks)
- 5k Open Water (12 weeks)
- Open Water Plan (12 weeks)
How to Follow the Plan
A training plan is a critical component to reaching your swimming goals! Here’s how this Plan is designed to help you get there.
- Time: During the week, you may feel tight on time. This Plan sets all your Workouts ahead of time for you to help you maximize your time in the water or at the gym. You’ll know exactly what you’re doing for the week and how long each Workout is.
- Setting Goals: Whatever your goal, a structured training plan helps get you there! Having a calendar of pre-planned Workouts makes your goal much more attainable.
- Staying Focused: When you have a plan ahead of time, you’ll stay on track.
- Staying Motivated: Seeing the entire plan laid out in front of you will help you visualize success and keep you on track. You may find that you’re even more motivated to get your workouts in!
- Accountability: If you can’t swim with a team or coach, this plan is for you! We are your accountability partners in this journey, and will make sure you log each and every Workout.
So what are you waiting for?
Start the 5k Open Water training plan and elevate your swim training with MySwimPro! Still not convinced? Read: Why You Need A Structured Training Plan.
Start your free trial of our ELITE subscription today for full access to all of our swimming and dryland training content.
Learn how to swim faster with MySwimPro: Free webinar!