USRPT stands for “Ultra Short Race Pace Training.” The premise for this training methodology is that race-specific, high intensity swimming will allow you to swim faster than any other training method. The overall goal is to simulate a racing situation in a workout to be better prepared for an actual race.
In simplified terms, this means only swimming at your goal race pace, or faster, in practice. This means no partial swimming – no drills, kicking, or any of that technique-focused work. If you don’t do in a race, you don’t do it in training. You’re only allowed to swim at race pace.
What is USRPT?
Listen on SoundCloud:
The USRPT Training Plan is designed for swimmers who are looking to:
- Swim a best time in the 50 or 100 of any stroke!
- Don’t have a lot of time to swim, but still want a high intensity workout!
- Looking to mix it up and see what the hype is all about!
4 Week USRPT Plan Overview:
- Duration: 4 weeks
- Workouts: 12
- Average Workout: 1,300 meters = 30 minutes
- Goal: Best time in 50/100 (any stroke)
Who’s it for? This plan is designed for a swimmer who is looking to improve their 50 or 100 time.
How does it work? Complete 3 Workouts per week for 4 weeks. Each Workout session will last about 30 minutes. This program will push your body to achieve race pace performance in every Workout. USRPT is designed to teach your body how to swim fast with perfect technique, repeated over short distances.
The goal of most sets will be to achieve a 1:1 Work-to-Rest ratio. This Training Plan can be performed in any stroke style with the end goal of decreasing time in a 50 or 100 distance race. Equipment (fins and paddles) are recommended for the third Workout of each week.
Start your free 30-day trial today!
USRPT is a holistic training methodology with specificity at its core. There are four elements that make up Ultra Short Race Pace Training:
- Nutrition & Recovery
To go a bit deeper into specificity, the goal is to achieve neuromuscular firing that mimics a race condition and environment. Actions (swimming strokes) need to be completed in their entirety, meaning kicking and drills become less useful. You must swim the total stroke!
Segmented training (like drills and single arm swimming) are not a focus because they do not replicate the total action (full swimming stroke). The idea of USRPT is that high skilled swimming will only be improved by practicing highly skilled swimming.
What to do if you fail to make an target time During a USRPT set?
If you fail to make your target time, you should sit out one repetition then jump back in on the next interval. If you fail a second time, the set is over and you should start your recovery swim.
If you don’t fail and complete the entire set hitting your target time on all repetitions, then the set was too easy – next time decrease your target time and/or decrease the amount of rest between repetitions.
Is USRPT right for you?
It should be noted that USRPT is targeted for intermediate to advanced swimmers focused on performance. It relies heavily on a strong stroke technique and high endurance.
You can do USRPT for any stroke, or IM training. This training concept can also be applied for longer events with a little variation, like the 400 Freestyle or 400 IM.
More Training Plans:
- 10K Challenge (10 weeks)
- IMX Pro Challenge (10 weeks)
- Advanced Technique Bootcamp (4 weeks)
- Get Fit – Freestyle (6 weeks)
- Enhance Speed (8 weeks)
- Improve Endurance (8 weeks)
How to Follow a Training Plan
A training plan is a critical component to reaching your swimming goals! Here’s how this Plan is designed to help you get there.
- Time: During the week, you may feel tight on time. This Plan sets all your Workouts ahead of time for you to help you maximize your time in the water or at the gym. You’ll know exactly what you’re doing for the week and how long each Workout is.
- Setting Goals: Whatever your goal, a structured training plan helps get you there! Having a calendar of pre-planned Workouts makes your goal much more attainable.
- Staying Focused: When you have a plan ahead of time, you’ll stay on track.
- Staying Motivated: Seeing the entire plan laid out in front of you will help you visualize success and keep you on track. You may find that you’re even more motivated to get your workouts in!
- Accountability: If you can’t swim with a team or coach, this plan is for you! We are your accountability partners in this journey, and will make sure you log each and every Workout.
So what are you waiting for?
Start the USRPT Plan and elevate your swimming with MySwimPro! Still not convinced? Read: Why You Need A Structured Training Plan!
Start your free trial of MySwimPro ELITE today to unlock all of our swimming and dryland training resources!
Learn how to swim faster with MySwimPro: Free webinar!