Training for any long open water swim requires a personalized plan. Whether you’re training for an open water 10k race or an 8 mile open water fundraiser, this plan will help you get there.
The 10k Open Water Race Plan is designed for swimmers looking to take their training to the next level and build an aerobic capacity necessary to tackle a long open water swim.
Start your free 7-day trial today!
10k Open Water Plan Overview:
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Workouts: 48
- Average Workout: 6,500 meters = 90 minutes
- Goal: Build Endurance
Who’s it for? You’re an experienced swimmer that trains four or more times per week. This plan will prepare you for a 10-15k open water swim with 4x pool sessions per week.
How does it work? Complete 4 workouts per week for 12 weeks in the pool. It is recommended to add additional open water swims to this plan beyond pool training. Every two weeks, the final workout of the week is a ‘Distance Challenge’ that will test your continuous aerobic ability. Week 4 and 8 are recovery weeks with lower volume and intensity. The final 3-4 weeks serve as a taper for the open water race to be done at the end of the 12 week plan.
Open Water Plans:
- 1.5km Open Water Race Plan (12 Weeks, 30 Workouts)
- 5km Open Water Race Plan (12 Weeks, 48 Workouts)
- 10km Open Water Race Plan (12 Weeks, 48 Workouts)
Featured Training Plans
- 10K Challenge (10 weeks)
- IMX Pro Challenge (10 weeks)
- Advanced Technique Bootcamp (4 weeks)
- Get Fit – Freestyle (6 weeks)
- Enhance Speed (8 weeks)
- Improve Endurance (8 weeks)
A training plan is a critical component to the success of reaching your goals in swimming! Here are some additional ways this plan is designed to help you get there.
- Time: During the week, you may feel stretched on time. This plan sets all your workouts ahead of time for you; therefore, you are more able to fit them into your hectic schedule than you thought. You’ll know exactly what you’re doing for the week and how long each workout is.
- Setting Goals: Having a goal gives you something to work towards and a plan helps get you there! Having a chart makes your goal much easier and attainable.
- Staying Focused: By having a plan ahead of time, you know exactly what you’re going to do and when you’re going to do it. One of the worst things that can happen, is to only swim when the mood hits you (or not at all). A plan will keep you focused on where you’re going.
- Staying Motivated: By adhering to a weekly schedule, you may find that you are staying motivated between and during every session more so than if you didn’t have a plan. Seeing the entire plan laid out in front of you will help visualize success and keep you on track.
- Accountability: If you can’t swim with a team or coach, this plan is for you! We are your accountability partners in this journey. A structured plan will keep your schedule in check and accountable to each and every workout.
So what are you waiting for?
Start the 10k Plan and elevate your swimming with MySwimPro! Still not convinced, read: Why You Need A Structured Training Plan.