A medicine ball is one of the most versatile pieces of equipment for swimmers. Available in a variety of sizes and weights, medicine balls add an element of instability and extra resistance to classic bodyweight exercises. If you’re looking to progress your at-home dryland training, pick up a medicine ball!
Total Body Medicine Ball Workout for Swimmers
In this workout, we hit all major muscle groups used in swimming. You’ll work on rotation, power and endurance to boost your core strength, stroke rate and more.
Dynamic Warm Up
- Jumping Jacks
- High Knees
- Butt Kicks
- Lateral Lunges
- Dynamic Hamstring Stretch
2 rounds: Round 1 with no medicine ball, Round 2 with the medicine ball
- Plank Rotations
- Plank with Alternating Leg Lift
- Plank with Alternating Arm Lift
- Plank Tap Progression
Main Circuit 1: 2 Rounds
- 10 Medicine Ball Burpees
- 10 Medicine Ball Sit Ups
- 20 Medicine Ball Toe Taps
- 20 Medicine Ball Knee Drives
Main Circuit 2: 2 Rounds
- 10 Medicine Ball Plyometric Push Ups
- 10 Medicine Ball Diagonal Chop
- 10 Medicine Ball Russian Twists
- 10 Medicine Ball Hip Bridges
- Wide Leg Forward Fold & Twist
- Butterfly Stretch
Try this workout — or build your own workout in the MySwimPro app! Our exercise library includes a variety of medicine ball exercises for swimmers of all skill levels. For more dryland training workouts and tips, check out our YouTube channel!
Start a free trial of ELITE COACH to unlock all of our swimming and dryland training plans and resources!