Want to get stronger in the water? Hit the gym! This Whiteboard Wednesday dives into 20 different strength and conditioning (A.K.A. dryland) workouts you can do with medicine balls.
20 Medicine Ball Exercises for Swimmers:
What is Dryland Training?
Dryland training (often referred to as Strength and Conditioning) is activity done on land with the intended purpose of increasing strength, flexibility and overall physical mobility. This includes a number of different movements and exercises ranging from beginner to advanced skill level. Some exercises that are commonly performed include: Pushups, sit-ups, squats, etc.
Why It’s Important
Incorporating an element of dryland training into your workout routine is important for three main reasons:
- Prevent Injury: Corrects for muscle imbalances and weak core strength.
- Increases Stroke Rate: Allows you to take more strokes in less time with more power.
- Improves Distance Per Stroke: More power application per stroke allows you to swim further with less effort.
The goal of any dryland program for swimmers is to become stronger and more explosive in the water while decreasing your risk of injury.
Listen to this episode on SoundCloud:
For more dryland training tips and workouts, check out our YouTube channel!
Medicine Ball Exercises
I hope this Whiteboard Wednesday was helpful in giving you some new ideas for how to train with medicine balls. Try to apply some of these movements into your workout routine so you can swim faster and smarter than ever. To take your swimming to the next level, checkout the MySwimPro training plan library!
Swim & Dryland Training Plans
A training plan is a critical component to the success of reaching your goals in swimming! The MySwimPro mobile app has Training Plans that range from beginner to elite. Check out a few highlights below:
Dryland Training Plans Using a Medicine Ball:
More Dryland Training Plans
- Dryland for Beginners Plan (2 weeks)
- Get Stronger, Swim Faster: Intermediate Dryland Plan (6 weeks)
- Max Performance: Advanced Dryland Plan (4 weeks)
- Low Impact (6 weeks)
- 14-Day Sweat (2 weeks)
- Beginner Freestyle Fundamentals (4 weeks)
- Get Fit – Freestyle (6 weeks)
- Enhance Speed (8 weeks)
- Improve Endurance (8 weeks)
- Get Fit – IM (8 weeks)
- IMX Pro Challenge (10 weeks)
- 10k Challenge (10 weeks)
- 5k Open Water (12 weeks)
- Open Water Plan (12 weeks)
Start your free trial of ELITE today to access all of our Swim and Dryland Training Plans!