On this episode of the #AskASwimPro show, we’re in Mesa, Arizona at the 2019 U.S. Masters Nationals Championships. Special guest LaJoya Smith (@lajoyabee) joins us to share what inspires her to reach for her goals.
“Working on my mindset has been my #1 goal this year.”
LaJoya is based in North Carolina and is an incredible U.S. Masters Swimmer. After graduating from college with a Track & Field scholarship, she jumped back in the pool and returned to competitive swimming. Hear what inspires her to train hard every day!
What Inspires You?
“I love watching the older swimmers still compete. These women in their 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s are still swimming everyday, they have no shame, come out to these meets, and always get it done.”
Listen to podcast on SoundCloud:
How Do You Work On Your Mindset?
“Working on my mindset is a big goal. With swimming, you’re in the water a lot, and it’s a lot of mental game. You have to push through those long swim sets. No matter what, just show up. Once you allow yourself to full be there, everything else will flow.”
Related: How To Practice Mindful Swimming
Her Tips For The 50 Freestyle:
- Strong start off the blocks
- Catch a lot of water
- Limit my breathing – breathe 1-2 times per length
- Just go! Get moving!
What do you love about Masters Swimming?
“When I first joined Masters Swimming in 2012, I thought it was relaxed and lolly-gagged. But no, it’s still like any other sport you did in high school or college. You get up early, you’re committed, you get your work done, and get to compete. The best part is watching women in their 90’s get up on the blocks!”
- 0:25 – Meet LaJoya!
- 0:58 – Swimming background
- 1:35 – What is the difference between collegiate track and masters swimming?
- 2:18 – Why is working on your mindset important to you?
- 3:05 – What is Masters Swimming like?
- 4:10 – How cool is it to be part of the Masters Swimming community?
- 4:50 – What are your goals for U.S. Masters Nationals?
- 5:08 – What events are you focusing on?
- 5:23 – What are your tips for the 50 Freestyle + 100 Freestyle?
- 6:35 – How is your Long Course swimming different?
- 7:05 – What is your training regimen?
- 7:53 – What advice do you have for beginners?
Ready to start your personal training plan? Get MySwimPro ELITE and find a huge library of swim workouts, technique videos and tracking tools available on iOS and Android.
If you have any questions about MySwimPro or swimming, send us a message! We’d love to chat. Email me anytime at email@example.com.