On this episode of the #AskASwimPro show, we’re in downtown Detroit with MySwimPro Co-Founder Michael Allon talking about his incredible 100 lbs weight loss story.
Mike is the Co-Founder of MySwimPro and primarily works on the Android App, Garmin integrations and a lot of the behind the scenes functionality of the platform. Mike really ramped up his swimming in 2018, training 3-5x/week and watching his diet through meal planning.
“When I first started swimming because I was technically obese, it was difficult to go to the pool because of body image issues. It can be intimidating when you see everyone else at the pool and it looks like they know what they’re doing. I didn’t know how to do a flip turn. Just go in the pool and start swimming. You can learn as you go.”
“If you’re on the fence about starting a fitness goal, just start now! For such a long time, I would say ‘maybe tomorrow, maybe next week I’ll get started’. You don’t have to start huge. Start super small. Have a plan. Start with a small change and stay consistent.”
“The hardest thing is to get started. Once you get started you get the ball rolling and everything flows from there. I started with the Get Fit training plan which took me from beginner freestyle workouts to doing a 1,500m swim continuously in six weeks.”
Listen to the interview with Mike on SoundCloud:
- 0:35 – How much weight did you lose? How long?
- 1:07 – How did you get started?
- 1:40 – The weight loss equation.
- 2:25 – How to create a caloric deficit.
- 3:25 – How much swimming were you doing?
- 4:12 – How does a swim training plan work?
- 5:23 – How to keep the calorie equation simple?
- 6:45 – What helped improve your swimming the most?
- 7:03 – What is a ‘feel for the water’?
- 8:03 – How to start swimming as an adult.
- 9:46 – Getting into Masters Swimming!
- 11:07 – Training all the strokes.
- 12:33 – How much faster did you get in the last year?
- 13:41 – Advice for swimmers looking to get into masters swimming.
- 15:08 – Advice for swimmers who don’t want to compete.
- 16:22 – Favorite types of swim workouts?
- 17:05 – How to improve kicking speed and technique.
- 18:36 – Why you don’t need equipment to get started.
- 20:35 – What are your goals for 2019 and beyond?
- 21:20 – Training with Runtastic Results.
- 22:43 – Advice for getting started.
- 23:53 – How do you feel?
“It really breaks down to one simple equation: calories in vs calories out. All id did was simple calorie counting and meal preparation. I also started swimming with MySwimPro 4-5x/week. The one thing I’ve learned is the weight loss equation is super simple, it’s not easy, but it’s simple.”
“Get out there and have fun, no one is going to judge you. It’s a lot of fun. If you have a structured workout it will give you some differentiation in what you do and make you swim more efficiently.”
“I went from size 44 jeans to size 30 jeans. From 265 lbs to 165 lbs. It’s hard to explain…there’s lots of small things that you’ll notice when you lose a lot of weight. I feel really good!”
Do you want to swim like Mike?
Download the FREE MySwimPro app for iPhone and Android! Take 20% off Premium with his code SWIMWITHMIKE20. If you have any questions about MySwimPro or swimming, send us a message!
We’d love to chat. Email me anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org.