On this episode of the #AskASwimPro show, we’re in Orlando, Florida at the Pan American Masters Swimming Championships with MySwimPro Ambassador Julie Kamat (@summerjulep).
Julie’s advice to new masters swimmers:
“Swimming is such a great community. There’s all ages and all skill levels. It’s such a welcoming group of people. You don’t have to be an elite swimmer to compete in Masters. It’s such a great goal to have to keep swimming at any age. Everyone is so encouraging.”
“It’s not just about the race, it’s about the community sharing their passion for swimming. To do what we love”
Listen to the full interview with Julie on SoundCloud:
Watch Julie swim and see how she trains with MySwimPro:
- 0:30 – Pan Ams 50 Free race recap!
- 1:40 – Early days of swimming as an age-grouper.
- 2:27 – Coming back to swimming after a 10 year break.
- 2:40 – Anthony Ervin inspiration in Rio 2016.
- 3:36 – Impact of weight training on swimming.
- 4:05 – Focusing on nutrition now.
- 4:23 – Balancing swimming and weight training.
- 4:58 – Coming back to swimming after shoulder surgery.
- 5:53 – The mental challenges of having shoulder surgery.
- 6:23 – Working through physical therapy.
- 7:15 – Advice for swimmers overcoming injury.
- 8:22 – Sharing her story on Instagram.
- 9:40 – Advice for new masters swimmers.
- 11:11 – Advice for swimmers looking to do an international meet.
- 12:14 – Future training and competing goals.
- 13:25 – Advice for fitness swimmers who don’t want to compete.
- 15:22 – Advice for swimmers about to go through surgery.
Julie’s advice to swimmers who are overcoming or working through an injury:
“If something hurts in practice, just stop. Modify your workout. Listen to your body, work smart. It is a struggle, but you can only move forward. You can get through this, you will get to your goal, you will get better. There’s only one way to go. You just have to keep pushing.”
Read Julie’s Blog: How I Fight Shoulder Injuries To Become a Better Swimmer
“I’m just doing my thing and didn’t realize how much impact I was having on others.”
Do you need help writing swim workouts? Need a Training Plan to follow? Use Julie’s code SUMMERJULEP to take 20% off an Elite Membership of MySwimPro. Redeem code >
If you have any questions about MySwimPro or swimming, send us an email! Email me anytime at email@example.com.